In the blink of an eye summer vacation came and went!
Help your child transition back into school with some of the following helpful tips:
- Plan a day to visit the school before the first day. Younger kiddos may want to meet their teacher and see their new classroom. Older kiddos will benefit from walking through their schedule.
- Choose a proper backpack. Make sure that it does not weigh more than 10-20% of your child’s body weight. Routinely remove unnecessary items.
- Decide on transportation. If you decide on the school bus, figured out pickup/drop-off time and location. If you are driving your child to school (or if your teenager is driving to school), make sure you all wear a seatbelt! If your child is walking to school, be realistic about their pedestrian skills.
- Make sure that your child has a nutritious breakfast before school! It helps with concentration. Check the school lunch menu and make a plan for days that your child may not want to eat the school’s food.
- Talk to your child about bullying or cyber bullying. Talk to your child about what to do if they are bullied. And, set firm limits with aggressive behavior if your child is the bully.
- Make a plan for before and after school care if you need to be at work. Children approaching adolescence (age 11 and 12) should not come home to an empty house unless they show unusual maturity for their age.
- Create a consistent schedule for homework. Create an environment that has few distractions.
- A few weeks before school, create a consistent bedtime routine!
Have a great school year!